Thursday, 25 October 2012

What's the best source for Famous Quotes?

"I love quotations because it is a joy to find thoughts one might have, beautifully expressed with much authority by someone recognized wiser than oneself." Marlene Dietrich

I love quotes and the reason I do is perfectly summed up by Marlene Dietrich above. 

Searching for Quotes


I spend a lot of time hunting around for quotes to help express something I’m trying to write about so I’m relatively familiar with what the web has to offer in this regard and I like to think I know some of the best resources out there; so I thought I'd write this post for anyone else who likes to use quotes for their blogpost or article.

My favourite website for quotations is probably not one you’d immediately think of - and it didn’t occur to me when I first stumbled upon it. You see a year or so ago I joined the Goodreads website (if you decide to join please do hook-up with me), which is best known as a great resource for book reviews and networking with other book readers. What you may not know is Goodreads is one of the best portals on the web for finding quotes by famous people and it’s compiled by the users of the Goodreads site – anyone can add a quote and there are thousands of them.

 

Finding the Perfect Quote


What makes it so easy to use is the way all the quotes are tagged by author and subject matter and accessible via a search engine; it’s a handy tool for anyone who writes content that they share with others: bloggers, journalists and authors who need quick access to a repository of suitable quotes for their work. To show you how easy it is to navigate here are a few images:


The Quotations landing page at Goodreads.

Some of the many tags for quotes

You don’t have to be a member to access any of the content of the website but if you subscribe (which is free) you get access to a bunch of nice features such as their Quote of the Day which gets emailed to your inbox.

 

Some of my Favourite Quotes


I couldn’t write a blog-post about quotations without including some of my own favourite ones now could I?! So here goes:

"Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better." ~ Jim Rohn

"It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious." ~ Oscar Wilde

"I'd rather be an optimist and a fool than a pessimist and right." ~ Albert Einstein

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." ~ Margaret Thatcher

"I see men, sixty, seventy years old breaking their balls to stay fit! What for? When I die, I want to be sick, not healthy." ~ Daryl van Horne (Jack Nicholson) in The Witches of Eastwick

"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself." ~ Albert Einstein

"When you know what you want, and you want it bad enough, you'll find a way to get it." ~ Jim Rohn

"It never hurts for potential opponents to think you’re more than a little stupid and can hardly count all the money in your hip pocket, much less hold on to it." ~ Amarillo Slim

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right." ~ Henry Ford

"Belief is the death of intelligence." ~ Robert Anton Wilson

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." ~ Ayrton Senna

"Change your thoughts and you change your world." ~ Norman Vincent Peale

"I spent all my money on women, drink and fast cars and wasted the rest." ~ George Best

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea life is serious." ~ Brendan Gill

"Success without honour is an unseasoned dish; it will satisfy your hunger, but it won't taste good." ~ Joe Paterno

I hope you liked some of those. What are your favourite quotations? Do you have any favourite websites for finding new quotes? Let me know in the comments below.